Why We Volunteer
Community Service (CS) is the cornerstone of AWAQ. Volunteering is an important component of our mission and a responsibility of being part of a community. We are committed to making a positive impact thru programs we support and are passion it about.
Where We Volunteer
We are currently seeking a partnership with the American School of Doha’s Art Department, Sidra Medical Center’s Child Life Services, and Doha Wireless Warriors: Dragon Boat Team for Cancer Survivors and Supporters.
How We Communicate
Community Service (CS), communicates thru Facebook posts, WhatsApps groups, and at general meetings on our projects. Our members or those interested can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keeping in mind we all have different schedules and abilities Community Service has planned projects that fit into diverse schedules and that meet the goal of our AWA group, which is to be a part of the community and to make a positive impact where we live.
Donations We Seek
- We continually collect travel sized toiletries at our General Meetings throughout the year. In the last three years we have delivered over 1,500 packs of toiletries.
- We collect items for Sidra’s Child Life Services (list to follow)
- We collect new educational toys/books and special needs educational aids (list to follow)
- We collect fleece to make no-sew blankets for the men and women of Al Udeid Air Base. We also collect 100% cotton fabric to make heart pillows used for cancer patients and to incoming personnel at Al Udeid Air Base.
- We are in need of quality scissors that cut through fabric.
- We bake and deliver cookies once a year to Al Udeid Air Base, delivered to Al Udeid Air Base by those already cleared.
- We are in need of “Art for the Walls.”- A beautifying campaign for Hamad Hospital.
- Most importantly is your donation of time.
How To Learn More
Please feel free to contact Edna Tonko, Community Service Chair, with questions or to volunteer at email@example.com
At the beginning of the AWA year, you will have an opportunity to register and be added to a WhatsApp group to learn of ongoing opportunities.
Hamad Hospital Projects
In 2013 the AWAQ adopted the Heart Pillow Project as its signature philanthropic undertaking, with a goal of offering both physical and emotional comfort to women who are experiencing the anguish of breast cancer, some with little or no family support in Doha. Volunteers spend long hours sewing pillows to help comfort mastectomy patients, and to provide a bit of hope and comfort to women here at Hamad Hospital. We are fully committed to supporting the development and growth of the Heart Pillow Project, along with other breast cancer awareness programs in Qatar.
Our club has expanded the Heart Pillow Project to include specially designed adjustable totes used to support and adjust the position of the drains that surgical patients must wear for several weeks after surgery. The tote bag, designed and sewn to the specifications of the Clinical Nurse Specialist at Hamad, allows the patient to move about freely without fear of dislodging the drains as they resume daily activities.
In 2014 – the group helped to decorate the Palliative care unit. A local gallery donated pictures for the walls and the AWAQ ladies painted and stenciled the units.
In 2015 – Surgical dolls for the Children’s Hospital at Hamad where added to the project – The dolls are cut and sewn by our volunteers and delivered wearing beautiful hospital gowns in children’s fabrics.
- 30 students from Qatar University signed up to cut and sew heart pillows, surgical bags and medical dolls.
- Several students from various grade levels at the American School of Qatar also helped with cutting and sewing.
- We also have several local women who help cut and sew.
- A group meets weekly to cut and sew.
In 2016– The group undertook to decorate a room to be used as a patient consultation area. The room was painted and furniture was purchased. A friend of AWAQ donated hand painted silk paintings for the room.
Packages containing fabric and patterns are available for anyone interested in volunteering, but who would prefer to do so at home. For further information please contact Community Services.