I think it’s safe to say that If we were somewhere other than Doha at this time of year, we would most likely be seeing a change of seasons. Since there is no change of seasons here (although the temperature should be dropping soon), we have to look for different types of change. So, let’s consider some of the changes in AWAQ:
- Our website has recently changed, and we can now register for events and happenings on line.
- We have an online membership directory – don’t forget to update your profile!
- Our newsletter has changed and is coming to you in a new electronic format
- Our monthly meeting formats are changing:
- We have a new and improved registration process (we hope you agree!)
- New offerings, including raffles and books for sale.
- New program to offer members with their own businesses the opportunity to promote themselves in person on a monthly basis.
Speaking of our meetings, this month we have special presentations by the Qatar Cancer Society and Hamad Hospital in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. We offer members several volunteer opportunities to assist women in various stages of breast cancer, and I would implore anyone that has the ability to volunteer to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot think of anyone I know who has NOT been affected by this disease in one way or another (in the US the figures are one in eight!). I personally have lost my mother and eldest sister to this disease, and have another sister who is a current survivor. Our club has several members that are breast cancer survivors (and survivors of other types of cancers) and we need to celebrate them every chance we get.
We still also need help with our committees, namely:
- Fundraising – We have a Fundraising leader, but she needs a few ladies to help her with upcoming projects, including book sales, ticket sales and coordination of upcoming bazaars (yes, we will be having one – or two!).
- Events – we have two energetic and organized ladies managing events, but we need a few more who can take on coordinating the recurring items, such as hosted coffee mornings, dinners out, etc. It takes more than two people to make all the fun happen!
The club has a lot of fun things planned, and we are working hard to offer you lots of choices and things to do. Be sure and check out the website calendar on a regular basis. If it’s anything like last year, 2014 / 2015 will go by quickly, so be sure and grab any opportunities when they arise.
I look forward to seeing you at the October meeting. As always, your input is important and we welcome your thoughts and suggestions, so please speak up!